"Life without love is a shadow of what life may be."



Monday, January 3, 2011

{Mele Kalikimaka}

Finally it was Christmas morning! Todd and I even set our alarm so we could get the kids up early (a carry-over tradition from Todd's family -- nobody gets out of bed until daddy comes to get them). We started singing Christmas carols down the hallway and it took about .2 seconds for the girls to appear. We finished that song. Sang another song. No Louis. Sent Elizabeth to go get him. She reported that he refused to get out of bed, and that he was still "humming". Sang another carol. Sent Todd to go get him. He still refused to get out of bed. Todd explains to him that it's Christmas morning. He argues that it's not. Todd says it is and that he can open presents. Louis says no it's not, that he can open presents tomorrow. Todd explains (again) that it's Christmas morning. The light bulb in Lou's brain finally clicks on and he shouts, "Today is tomorrow!" and just like that he's up and out of bed! It must feel like a lifetime for a three-year-old boy to wait for Christmas morning!
We learned that Santa does actually enjoy an occasional Mountain Dew now and then, just like Todd said. It must be a nice change from all that hot cocoa.

...and it was finally time for presents!
I think it's safe to say that Caroline has the hardest time waiting her turn to open one.

Everyone got just what they wanted.
Todd got new scriptures (seems slightly inappropriate to look so evil while showing off one's new scriptures, doesn't it?!?)
Todd spoiled me with a brand new set of pots and pans, and these super stylish (and sturdy!)cooking utensils!
Elizabeth got the electronic banking version of Monopoly.
Caroline was tricky this year. Every time someone asked what she wanted for Christmas she came up with some wildly different answer. This led us to believe she'd be happy with just about anything.
Louis asked for a tractor. So we picked out a nice sturdy metal old fashioned one. He thought it was broken because, "It doesn't go." *sigh* Kids these days.
I decided to surprise Todd, which is impossible. So I went for the old wrap-a-small-present-in-a-big-box-with-a-jar-that-rattles-to-throw-him-off approach. It totally worked.
Guitar Hero Metallica. Hello new game, goodbye hubby for a few days. We got the kids a bunch of new games for the Wii too. It's been a blast -- remember that Just Dance video I posted a few days ago? Lots of that going on!
Then we were left with nothing but the Christmas carnage. Which just had to wait while we had a few last rides on the snowmobile. Then we went over the river and through the woods for a little more Christmas joy at first Nana and Papa's house, then Grandma and Grandpa's too!



We have been so blessed this year! I am so thankful for the giving spirit that was in our home this season as we celebrated this Christmas season. I just love this time of year when the whole world seems to come together. We are so thankful for the birth of our Savior, for His love and His life. Merry Christmas from our family to yours!

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

What a FANTASTIC christmas! Love your sly ways of tricking Tood and how Louis thought he couldn't open presents. lol

Have you made any new concoctions in your super fabulous new cookware??

Stephanie said...

Louis cracks me up! I love your Christmas morning. What fun!

Kristin and Jay said...

I think your little boy is the funniest little guy! Had me laughin out loud! And I just had to say that while looking through your christmas morning pictures my daughter was sitting on my lap and when it got to the picture of you and your super sturdy utensils =) she said....hey....is that you?! HAHA!

Kristin and Jay said...

I think your little boy is the funniest little guy! Had me laughin out loud! And I just had to say that while looking through your christmas morning pictures my daughter was sitting on my lap and when it got to the picture of you and your super sturdy utensils =) she said....hey....is that you?! HAHA!