It turns out that after the initial excitement of walking on ice with real water underneath with real fish swimming in it, ice fishing can prove to be slightly boring to the "seven and younger crowd". Papa imparted these words of wisdom on the kiddos, "That's why it's called fishing, and not catching." Hmmm.... very inspiring, Dad!
We were prepared with alternative modes of entertainment.
"Look Mom, I'm zippying!" (These little skis were my mom's, they're called zippies.) Elizabeth asked, "I don't get it. How is that supposed to be fun?"
Snow angels!
Sledding! Yea! "Dad, the hill is too steep, will you pull us up?" He's way nicer than me, but he only humored them once.
Flant (short for "fun-aunt") Laura is the master of sliding on the ice! The kids played "penguins" forever sliding on the ice on their bellies and knees.
Exploring! We found a spot where the ice had shifted and pushed up in spots. The perfect spot to strike a pose.
I dare you to lick it!
She's got a little Captain in her too!
Ahhhh..... oops! There goes that little piece of beautiful nature.
How did the big kids keep busy when the fish weren't biting? Todd brought his new B-B gun he got for Christmas. No, it's not a Red Rider!
I shot a fishing bobber with it on my first try! Not too shabby... and a little white trash to boot! Yee-haw!
Startin' out early! Be careful, you'll shoot your eye out!
And hot chocolate! Yumm!!!
We (OK, the boys -- us girls were too busy playing) caught quite a few fish. Including this really amazing banana trout. Have you ever seen a yellow trout before?
The fish were flopping around on the snow, which the girls thought mildly funny, yet it disturbed them that the fish was covering itself in snow. So the kind little souls kept brushing the snow off of them until the little fishies stopped flopping.
Elyse was so excited to go fishing, she wore her little fishing vest to bed the night before over the top of her pink princess jammies! Here she is proudly displaying the "recycled" fish "she" caught! (OK, really Uncle Todd caught it, and then they moved it onto her pole when she wasn't paying attention. Promise not to tell!)






9 comments:
Wow, I look pretty good in those jeans. Who knew? I think those may be my new favorite jeans!
Glad you told me you got a new blog.... That is so neat you guys went ice fishing. i love that your dad said "that's why it's called fishing, not catching" I have always wanting to see a hole made in the ice to fish in it :) Loved your sister had a little captain in her... sometimes you need something to get you through outings with your kids :)
WHO KNEW so much fun could be had when
1)outside
2)in freezing temps
3)on ice
4)fishing
You have proven me wrong in so many ways! :)
How fun! I myself was never a fan of ice fishing. I HATE the cold. But my kids on the other hand LOVE it. Their dad takes them all of the time and I get to hear all of the stories! Course, I might enjoy it a little more if I had "zippees" too! :)
I never thought fishing could be so much fun...and ice fishing sounds that much more miserable! Sounds like you had a great time! What fun memories
Looks like a wonderful time! Oh, and by the way, tell your pappy I think he's super wise!
How fun! I love your pictures, it's pretty nice over there. Freezing but fun.
You guys did a whole lot of stuff!
Alynn! you are totally idaho girl, and I am SOOO jealous! seriously, I would live there gladly. Also, I'm happy to see you're uncovering important talents like bee bee marksmanship. you're a dead eye!
Post a Comment